2014-07-03 Hoover Wilderness and Yosemite

Early July Gina and I did a 50 mile loop out of Hoover Wilderness into Yosemite and back. Twin lakes -> Peeler Lake -> Benson Lake -> Matterhorn Canyon Junction (more or less) -> Crown Lake -> out. Was a fantastic trip, though we both agreed it was more strenuous than our ideal. Incredibly scenic wonders around every corner. I think our sweet spot is hitting camp an hour or two after lunch so there is time to do more local exploration, vs the macro exploration of putting on the miles. Not that we had any problems, it was just quite tiring with all the elevation change. I have some GPS tracks for a few days somewhere on my phone but the up down of the trail plus general elevation changes was pretty big. Trekking poles were a big win!

For photos, here is a short ‘best of':

2014 07 - Hoover Wilderness, Yosemite, 50 miles

1 Year, off to wine country!

Straight Talk Nexus 4

I switched from T-Mobile to Straight Talk and after some frustration managed to get things working.

I ordered their ATT sim online from the Bring Your Own Phone section and a 1 month activation card.  Everything showed up and I gave it a shot.  Their online tool failed to allow me to port my number but they did it over the phone with no problem.  AND I did not wait for customer service.  Number was ported within a couple of hours.

I used the settings found on their website:


APN Settings

APN wap.tracfone
PROXY att2.tracfone.com
MMSC http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS PROXY att2.tracfone.com
MMS_APN wap.tracfone


Which promptly failed to do anything.  With various searching on the internet I found settings that mostly worked.  Data, Voice , Text, MMS Send – but MMS receive failed.  I would get the text notification but it would then fail to download and I would be looking at a blank message editing screen.


The short version is eventually called customer service told them what was going on and that the default APN settings didn’t work at all.  They had me power down my phone while they configured my account on their end.  I powered it back up and the settings I found on the internet stopped worked.

Deleted the old settings, named the new settings from their website (above) STRAIGHT_TALK and rebooted and then had everything working.


from my house with three bars:

ping 174

download 3.22

upload 1.03


Easy way to test MMS is to send yourself a MMS message.

Carson Falls in a rainstorm

Gina and I hiked to Carson falls during the big rainstorm.  Quite wet but very fun.  Probably should have taken the rain coat vs the accidentally grabbing the wind breaker.   Someone had made a lovely looking little heart out of found objects, and the water was rushing!


This poem came up in my Buddhism class, very touching.  From the Taoist Laozi .

Always We Hope – Laozi

Always we hope
someone else has the answer,
some other place will be better,
some other time,
it will turn out.

This is it.

No one else has the answer,
no other place will be better,
and it has already turned out.

At the center of your being,
you have the answer:
you know who you are and
you know what you want.

There is no need to run outside
for better seeing,
nor to peer from a window.
Rather abide at the center of your being:
for the more you leave it,
the less you learn.

Search your heart and see
the way to do is to be.

Abide at the center of your being.

Winter in Tahoe

No snow which was a little crazy, but it was lovely.  Sadly a bit of a stomach virus was going around.  But everyone came through it in the end.